Sunday 2 August 2009

With apologies to William Cobbett (1763 – 1835)

The gentleman in the title - one William Cobbet, was quite a character. One of the facets of his work was extolling the virtues of the English farm labourer. He wrote a remarkable piece praising the use of ale instead of the tea - which he seems to have seen as the root of the decline of the English working class. Now as far as we can find out my family were farm labourers since the 16th century in Buckinghamshire - I have a suspicion that the cost of tea was such that it would be a very luxurious tipple. Anyhow, the reason for the diversion into family history is that we seem to be returning to the concept of living from what we can grow.



For example, the Grapes!



They said it couldn't be done! Well, I am not sure who the 'they' are - but quite a few of our friends said, 'vines for wine; that's interesting! But look, the vines have gone mad. Also, they look extremely healthy. We have had some torential downpours of rain recently and I thought that the roots might rot. However, the drainage has been up to the task and we are both very pleased. So this winter the supports go in and next spring a whole lot more vines are to be planted. Only a couple of years and we will be treading our first grapes. I have been practising with the pure grape juice and so far the results have been OK. However, I know that to develop any real skill at producing wine is going to take a long time.




As part of the general re organisation of life towards the next phase we have also restored the vegetable patch. Now the more perceptive will have noticed the mesh cage. We intended that to keep the pigeons away. Alas, it is so good at keeping birds in that we now call it the Aviary. Also worthy of note is the large number of protective boxes/pipes etc, combined with a remarkable lack of green (ie. plants) for this time of year: the answer is quite simple




RABBITS




I am afraid that people who refer to the pests as nice furry little things leave me a little frustrated. Oh, I know, they are cute. However, at the moment it is just as if we have started a rabbit version of Mac Donalds'! Whatever; the local population of rabbits is going to be a ready source of protein

2 comments:

~*~Abby~Hailey~Lydia~*~ said...

Very good post Ray. You do know that rabbit stew is very good *grins* and since they are taking the time to eat your veggies and stuff, the least you could do is get all that nurishment back. *giggles*

take care, lots of love
Donna

Stuart said...

My own attempts at cooking rabbit have have, generally, been blessed with success. My preferred way to go about things is via a paella but rabbit pie is brought alive with the addition of dried cranberries.

I recall on episode when the cat brought in a small one - a rabbit not a cranberry - which I promptly confiscated in order to stuff with sausage and roast covered with strips of bacon. I've never seen a cat sulk before but he actually went and sat in the corner and refused to look at me.

I brought him around by letting him have the head and paws back along with a few cat treats though. Despite this effort on my part the wishful hopes which I now entertained about having a trained hunting cat who would forthwith contribute to our table rather than just sleeping were dashed; he never caught another one, that or he was careful not to let me see it.

Peace, Stuart.